got me to watch Gundam Wing with her, when we first moved in together. I need to talk about this a little bit because it will sort of set the stage for all of the future flailing that's going to happen here. She and I rewatched Evangelion back in May/June-ish while I was caring for the Weasley Kittens, and it was really fun and interesting to just rewatch old animes and flail and talk about them. (For a mental image that should basically cover all of "us rewatching Eva", please picture the two of us drunk as fuck, buried under blankets (yes it was May), clinging to each other in a state of terrified and desperate cathartic mindfuck as we scream at the creepified disgustingness that is all of the Evas
-- and then, three seconds later, engage in hilarious debate about how we hate every character a little, and breasts. The end.)
Anyway. We had rewatched all of Avatar: The Last Airbender, we had watched some other stuff, and Becky says to me, do you want to watch Gundam Wing? Sure, I said. I was just a tiny
bit too old to catch it at the time it was out on Toonami -- and this will become very important: I missed the entire first incarnation of the fandom as a whole.
I didn't really know a lot about it except that there were boys and robots and it was back from the 90s. Becky said she had liked it a lot and was interested in seeing how it stacked up now; I said, hey, it was popular and even if I don't get into it, I'll be glad that I watched it. So we started watching eps during dinner (and often after dinner, into the second bottle of wine, because we make really good life choices).
Here's how that rewatch went.
- First ~1/3 of the show: huh, this is alright… it's kind of confusing and complicated for a kids' show and I'm having trouble keeping track of who is where and what is which, but I like these cutefaced characters a lot. It's fun! More wine please.
- Second ~1/3 of the show: Okay, these characters are actually really awesome; I'm still not sure how much of the story I'm picking up here, and every time I think I have it under control somebody switches sides or changes positions or otherwise mindfucks me, but I'll keep watching for PRETTY, AMAZING BOYS IN ROBOTS. I can see why people liked this, I get it.
- Final 1/3 of the show: JESUS IN A BARREL OF FUCKS WHEN THE HELL DID THIS SHOW GET SO AWESOME AND HOW DID IT CREEP UP ON ME AND WHY DO I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED. WHAT IS HAPPENING. I AM NOT EVEN PREPARED. WHEN DID ALL OF THE CHARACTERS BECOME MASSIVE BAMFS AND WHY AM I GAY FOR ALL OF THEM OH MY GOD MY HEART, IT'S EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS MORE
- after the last episode: *Becky and I just staring at each other and repeating, "Oh my fucking god," for about twenty minutes*
So of course I wanted to dive right into the fandom – never mind that it hasn't existed for like 10 years,
jerks – but I realized the very first time I sat down to write
anything that I definitely hadn't caught enough of the details of the backstories to really feel great writing anything more than, I don't know, clown blowjobs
really dumb stuff. And I was finding other people who were all about a tiny little fandom revival – not just safety_caesars
, and then I met notraffic
and it all went downhill towards the SHAME TRAIN – but I was like, oh god oh god what the fuck happened in Luxembourg? Where the fuck was that in the show. I don't even know.
And I knew that Becky didn't want to rewatch it again, right away (and duh, she knows what happened
), which was cool, so originally I thought maybe I'd just read up on stuff online, get episode recaps or read the GW wiki or something like that.
Then I remembered that
- I run a lot every week, and it's on a treadmill now because it's cold
- I have an iPad
- Running is boring
- Running to Gundam Wing would be less boring
- I could watch the episodes with the English voices and learn something about the dub, too
So I now have the series on my iPad, and I watch 1-2 episodes every time I run, depending on the length of the run. :D The English dub is pretty different than what's in my head, and it's also easier to run with headphones and English – it can be hard to read subtitles when I'm doing sprint intervals – and I don't really give any fucks that I'm watching a kid's cartoon in a public gym, whooooops.
So anyway, let's talk about my feelings on episodes 01-05.( GW Rewatch 01-05: Go! )
I'm running tomorrow and probably Friday, so I'll share my thoughts as I go. ALSO: need to obtain some GD Gundam Wing icons omg